Paul D. Eklund
Paul has 43 years of trial court experience. He litigates cases involving wrongful death, catastrophic injuries, insurance and insurance agency law, negligence, contracts and business litigation. Paul also has extensive experience counseling insurance companies and self-insureds on defensive strategies, insurance coverage and broad-based liability issues.
When Paul isn’t in the courtroom you’ll find him traveling, scuba diving, hiking, and bicycling or spending time with his four grandchildren and fifth on the way. Paul’s interests also include photography, tai chi, wine and gourmet cooking.
Find out more about: Practice Areas Cases Education Presentations Memberships Awards Recognitions
- Gains v City of Painesville (Jones v VIP Development Co.), 15 Ohio St. 3d 90 (1984), First Employer Intentional Tort case tried to verdict in Ohio; verdict in favor of client upheld by Ohio Supreme Court.
- Valley Ford Truck, Inc. v Phoenix Insurance Co., 813 F. Supp. 2d 859 (N.D. OH, April 25, 2011), Summary judgment in favor of insurer-client: customer’s claims against dealership did not allege an “accident” covered by garage operations liability provision of insurance policy; no bad faith on part of insurer.
- Dorsey v Campbell Hauling, 2003 WL 21469132 (10th Dist. No. No. 02AP-961, June 26, 2003). Summary judgment in favor of insurer on bad faith and coverage issues.
- Progressive Preferred Ins. Co. v Derby, 2001 WL 672177, (6th Dist. No. F-01-002, June 15, 2001). Summary judgment for insurer on issue of whether case involved two occurrences or only one; appellate court finding one occurrence.
Education & Memberships
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1978
- B.A., Miami University, 1975
Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Bar Association, Litigation Institute, 2000
United States District Court Northern and Southern District
United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Paul D. Eklund, Partner
875 Westpoint Parkway, Suite 500
Cleveland, OH 44145