Richard M. Garner
For nearly thirty years, Rich has been the problem solver that clients turn to with their most difficult issues. His experience has left him with a keen understanding of not only how to solve difficult problems, but also of the limitations and costs of litigation. While a lawsuit, trial or appeal to the highest court may be what is needed, sometimes just some good advice or a well-timed letter is better.
Over the years, Rich has received many awards, spoken at seminars and events around the state and country and won some of Ohio’s most memorable insurance cases. He has handled hundreds of trials and appeals, including 85 cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio.
He has also served as National Coverage Counsel for insurers on subjects ranging from chemical exposures to opioids.
In 2014, Rich became the only lawyer in Ohio certified as a specialist in both appellate law and insurance coverage law.
Rich and his wife, Renee have three children and reside in Powell, Ohio. They are passionate about their community, their church, books, music and Ohio State and Cleveland sports teams.
Find out more about: Practice Areas Cases Education Memberships Publications Presentations Awards Recognitions Admission
- Lubrizol Advanced Materials, Inc. v. Nat’l. Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, —Ohio St. 3d —, 2020-Ohio-1579 (allocation of insurance coverage on progressive injury claims)(as amicus counsel).
- Kisling, Nestico & Redick, LLC v. Progressive Max Ins. Co., —Ohio St.3d —, 2020-Ohio-82 (lawyer’s charging lien not enforceable against insurer for out-of-court settlement).
- Ohio Northern Univ. v. Charles Constr. Servs., Inc., 155 Ohio St.3d 197, 2018-Ohio-4057 (insurance coverage for construction defect claims)
- Sauer v. Crews, 140 Ohio St.3d 314, 2014-0hio-3655 (holding that CGL policy did not provide coverage for commercial trailer involved in fatal accident)
- Westfield Ins. Co. v. Custom Agri Systems, Inc., 133 Ohio St.3d 476, 2012-0hio-4712 (holding that CGL policy was not triggered by construction defect claim)
- Pa. Gen. Ins. Co. v. Park-Ohio Indus. Inc., 126 Ohio St.3d 98, 2010-0hio-2745 (holding that targeted insurer in progressive injury claim was not barred from seeking contribution from non-targeted insurers)
- Coleman v. Dogra, 108 Ohio St.3d 529, 2006-0hio-1707 (holding that consequential damages would not be permitted in “wrongful birth” cases).
- Westfield Ins. Co. v. Galatis, 100 Ohio St.3d 216, 2003-0hio-5849 (holding that commercial UM/UIM coverage would not extend to employees and family members beyond course and scope of employment)
- Twin City Fire Ins. Co. v. Adkins, 400 F.3d 293 (6th Cir. (Oh.) 2005)(holding that state supreme court did not violate constitutional rights of plaintiffs by retroactively modifying Ohio insurance law)
Education & Memberships
- J.D., Ohio State College of Law, 1993
- B.A., Ohio State University, 1990 – Political Science
Ohio State Bar Association (Appellate Law Specialty Board, 2008- 2016)
Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys (Board of Trustees, 2008-present; Co-Chair, Insurance Committee 2009-2013; Chair, 2011 OACTA Special Task Force Re: Insurance Coverage Issues Pertaining to R. C. 2745.01,Chair, 2012 & 2014 Supreme Court Screening Committees)
Council on Litigation Management (Claims & Litigation Management Alliance 2011-present)
Defense Research Institute, Life Member
The Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District (2011-present)
Publications & Presentations
- Lexis Nexis Practice Guide: Ohio Insurance Litigation: (1) Chapter 14–Extracontractual Liability of Insurers (author); (2) Chapter 15–Insurance-Specific Issues in Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation (co-author), Matthew Bender & Co., Inc. (2018-2020).
- Flexible Predictability: Stare Decisis in Ohio. University of Akron Law Review. Vol. 48, No. 15, Winter 2015, p. 15 (48 Akron L. Rev. 15)
- Insurance For My Brother’s Keeper: Safeco Ins. Co. of America v. White, Quarterly Review, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Vol. 2, No. 3, Fall 2009, p. 37.
- 8 Simple Rules of Ohio UM/UIM Coverage. Law & Fact, Cuyahoga County Bar Association,Vol. 81, No. 2, April 2005, p.12 .
- Crash Course in Title Law: Questionable ethics arising in negligence cases. Ohio Lawyer, Vol. 13, No. 3, May-June 1999. p.10.
- Fundamentally Speaking: Application of Ohio’s Domestic Violence Laws in Parental Discipline Cases – A Parental Perspective. University Of Toledo Law Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, Fall 1998 (30 U. Tol. L. Rev. 1)
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers® 2022 “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2014 – present (Insurance Law)
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Ohio Lawyers Weekly, 2003
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2005-present (Insurance Coverage)
- Board Certified Appellate Specialist (certification provided by Ohio State Bar Association Appellate Specialty Board)
- Board Certified Insurance Coverage Specialist (certification provided by Ohio State Bar Association Insurance Coverage Specialty Board)
- Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV Rated for both Insurance Coverage & Appellate Practice
- Three-time “Golden Gavel” Recipient, Westfield Insurance Company
- 2013 Outstanding Advocacy Award, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
United States District Court Northern and Southern District
United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Richard M. Garner, Partner
655 Metro Place South, Suite 200
Dublin, OH 43017